It is a service aimed at preventing family breakdown and promoting quality care within families of origin.
We strengthen families in disadvantaged localities to prevent child neglect and abandonment.
It is in a child’s best interests to remain with their parents or relatives as long as the family is providing adequate care. The Family Strengthening Programme addresses the root causes of child rights violation, neglect and abandonment by empowering families to properly care for their children. The Family Strengthening Programme adopts an integrated approach in supporting vulnerable children, empowering their families in order to create a caring family environment. Our focus is on children who are at risk of abandonment or whose rights are not being respected or adequately fulfilled. Where necessary we collaborate and partner with other NGOs, Community-Based Organisations and Government institutions to support children and families to become self-reliant.
The services provided by the Family Strengthening Programme include:
- Family empowerment for self-reliance of families in properly caring for their children.
- Counselling and psychosocial support to parents.
- Referrals of children, young people and parents to other institutions for specialised services (e.g., employment, social services etc.).
- Access of children and young people to education and training.
- Employability and life skills training for parents and young people.
- Early Childhood Care and Education.
- Information and awareness campaigns to sensitise families, children and the community on various social issues.